Dr. SORANA CORNEANU: is Associate Professor of English and researcher in early modern studies at the University of Bucharest. She was the recipient of two doctoral research scholarships at Oxford (2005-6) and New Europe College, Bucharest (2006-7), and was post-doctoral research fellow of the Huntington Library, San Marino, CA (Oct. 2011) and of CHED, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia (July-Oct. 2012). She was a member of the ERC Starting Grant 241125 MOM, Medicine of the Mind and the Reconfiguration of Natural Philosophy: A New Interpretation of Francis Bacon (PI: Dr. Guido Giglioni) (2009-2014), and is currently PI of the UEFISCDI research grant 368/2015, An Intellectual History of the Imagination: Bridging Literature, Philosophy and Science in Early Modern and Enlightenment England (2015-2017).
- Knowledge, Selves, Virtues: Cross-Disciplinary Studies in Early Modern Literature, Science and Philosophy, Bucureşti: Editura Universităţii din Bucureşti, 2014.
- Regimens of the Mind: Boyle, Locke, and the Early Modern Cultura Animi Tradition, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2011.
Edited volumes / journal issues
- Francis Bacon on Motion and Power, ed. by Guido Giglioni, James Lancaster, Sorana Corneanu and Dana Jalobeanu, Dordrecht: Springer, 2016.
- The Care of the Self in Early Modern Philosophy and Science, special issue of Journal of Early Modern Studies 4.2, ed. by Sorana Corneanu, Bucharest: Zeta Books, 2015.
- Francis Bacon and the Medicine of the Mind: Late Renaissance Contexts, special issue of Perspectives on Science 20.2, ed. by Sorana Corneanu, Guido Giglioni and Dana Jalobeanu, Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2012.
- Francis Bacon and the Reconfiguration of Early Modern Natural History, special issue of Early Science and Medicine 17.1-2, ed. by Sorana Corneanu, Guido Giglioni and Dana Jalobeanu, Leiden: Brill, 2012.
Journal articles and book chapters
- “The Nature and Cure of the Whole Man”, Early Science and Medicine, special issue on The Early Modern and Enlightenment Science of Man, ed. Tamas Demeter, forthcoming 2017.
- “Francis Bacon on the Imagination, Rhetoric and the Art of Direction”, in Koen Vermeir (ed.), Knowledge and Imagination in Early Modern and Enlightenment Philosophy, Dordrecht: Springer, forthcoming 2017.
- “Francis Bacon on the Motions of the Mind”, in Guido Giglioni and James Lancaster, with Sorana Corneanu and Dana Jalobeanu (eds.), Francis Bacon on Motion and Power, Dordrecht: Springer, 2016, 201-230.
- “Francis Bacon on Charity and the Ends of Knowledge”, in Tamas Demeter, Kathryn Murphy, and Claus Zittel (eds.), Conflicting Values of Inquiry: The Ideologies of Epistemology in Early Modern Europe, Leiden: Brill, 2014, 339-352.
- “Idols of the Imagination: Francis Bacon on the Imagination and the Medicine of the Mind” (co-authored with Koen Vermeir), Perspectives on Science, special issue on Francis Bacon and the Medicine of the Mind: Late Renaissance Contexts, eds. Sorana Corneanu, Guido Giglioni, Dana Jalobeanu, 2012: 183-206.
- “Passions, Providence, and the Cure of the Mind: Robinson Crusoe Meets the Christian Virtuoso”, in Sabine Arnaud and Helge Jordheim (eds.), Le Corps et ses images dans l’Europe du dix-huitième siècle / The Body and Its Images in Eighteenth-Century Europe, Paris: Honoré Champion, 2012, 259-276.